(fyi — I typically measure my ingredients with my eyes and taste buds):
– half an onion, finely chopped
– 300 g (11 oz) cooked shredded chicken breasts
– 3 cups of low sodium, fat free chicken broth or stock
– 3 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
– 1/2 cup heavy cream (or less depeding how creamy you like it)
Coat a pan with the EVOO over medium high and fry the onion for a couple of minutes. Add the shredded chicken with the chicken broth and the chopped tarragon. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper, as needed. Remove from stove and let cool. Then process in a blender (a food processor will do as well) until smooth. Et voila, it’s done! Super easy, fast and flavorful!
I also like to make my own croutons, ideally with the artisan flaxseed loaf from Trader Joe’s. Just coat a pan with EVOO (you may add some minced garlic if you wish), add the bread, sprinkle some salt and brown the croutons as needed.
(1) Don’t be shy with the salt – the only other spice in the soup is the tarragon and the salt will help enhance its flavor.
(2) I like to blend it to a creamy consistency but you don’t have to if you prefer a little texture.
Bon appetit, kids!